Monday, February 28, 2011

Back Again

The second time I saw the piece of the plate and cup, I came to the realization that the piece was primarily a pattern. This came to me I think because of the last project, and that I was supposed to sketch the plate and all I could think was 'Oh. It's a pattern." which makes sense because I love patterns, and we're doing them in 2D too, cool how the classes mix like that.
So I talked about colors a lot last time, but to branch off the questions, the colors definitely attracted me to the piece. Well, the round shape contributed, if it were a square I'd probably have been mush less interested, but the colors came first. They're bright and demanding but how they're organized calms that enough that it doesn't overwhelm me or push me away. Second time looking at it, don't remember what it was the first time, but the red definitely stands out to me most. Probably has something to do with the red dot in the center radiating out.
I can't really think of a time it draws me to, the colors make me think of playgrounds, and the one that's in a park in my neighborhood. The colors are too dark though, then it starts to remind me of color charts. I can't remember if I've ever seen a primary colors color chart, but this would be one. I could carry it around to remind me of them and it would work brilliantly.
Also, smell? I smell my cherry eucalyptus cough drops.
I wanted to say that the piece felt smaller the second time I saw it too, and it wasn't as exciting of a discovery. I knew exactly where it was, so I wasn't a little lost in the museum, and lost in the room. Also I knew what I was looking for, so the colors still helped me find it and made it stand out but they weren't a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment