Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Emily Rooney's Space

When I first walked into the exhibit, I saw the black mat with all the black objects on it, and tiny bits of light teal and pink. I instantly thought of Japan...more specifically the serenity, and zen quality that sitting mats and black objects create. The placement of the objects to one another was particularly interesting in the arrangement of different surfaces. Although they were all treated with the color black, the natural texture and nature of the object affected the black like with the placement of the dull radishes with the satiny shorts, and the smooth belt with the wrinkled grapes. The records weren't even visible as records at first, and just appear as these incredibly interesting textures. The colors that emerged from the black, were light pink, teal, and a deep blue bottle near the center. The bottle stood out to me a lot as if it were a cracked robin's egg, although it's color was much deeper than a robin's egg, it's shape was what brought me to that image. The shape of a broken circle, or misshaped circle was repeated a lot over the black mat with the wrinkled grapes, the burnt records, and the multiple pots.
Oh and the word 'sephora' was on the broom...which after some googling is apparently a beauty company with the name derived from the greek word sephos for beauty/

The piece with the concrete bricks was what caught my eye next because of how the bricks raised everything above the floor. It's height above the rope with the peace sign made it more prominent in the room. I think the placement of the black mat being right there first made it the initial viewing point.
The colors on the brick piece went from blue, cooler paint to warmers tones. Also the line incorported a section that was a red stripes and then a section with a blue star that immediately made me think of the American flag.
The layers of paints and the line that directs through the bricks are all concealing pictures of some kind as well. To me they feel like magazine clippings.
What lead me to the other section of concrete bricks was a continuation of the red acrylic paint, how it ends on one and begins on the other, or vice verse. The line of paint slowly becomes incense which is arranged tonely in warm and cool varieties similarly to the strips of paper on the other section of concrete bricks. They lead to drumsticks leaning upright like incense would. There were lots of bronze almost gold colored objects, and the urn-shape in particular stood out to me. The combination of them with the incense feels really reminiscent of a culture that I can't really think of.

Then I moved over to the peace rope because it was situated near by, and although it's color was the most vibrant in the room it's size and location played it down. What was interesting about it was that from most heights above it, the rope looks like it's merely rope, but because of the speckles of blue and green colors that are so intense, most people I saw in the gallery moved closer to see the texture up close and realized because of some cracks in the rope that it was actually ceramic. The use of color and texture was what drew people closer to take a deeper look.

That's about as far as I got before we left. I looked throughout the whole exhibit first but then I'd just be describing to you what I saw briefly and not what I thought about as I was there.
There was one photo in the first room that I paused at because the corner was lifted and I couldn't tell if it was meant to be that way or not. The more I looked at it, the less purposeful it felt. Especially considering that the other two photos in the room were neatly mounted on the wall next to one another like most photographs were.

No comments:

Post a Comment